Join the Movement!
Volunteer. Support. Empower.
Spay and Neuter Kansas City and Families Better Together™ are accepting new volunteers!
Want to join our efforts promoting spay/neuter and preventative pet health services and information, empowering pet owners, and supporting our community? Volunteers are a vital part of our organization! We depend on the help of our volunteers to help us meet our goals and demands for our high-volume clinics as well as our community needs. The efforts of our Volunteer Team allow our organization to reach thousands of pets and their families each and every year!
Our Volunteer Program offers a variety of volunteer opportunities with areas for personal growth, developing and strengthening new skills, and continuing education.
- All potential volunteers must complete a volunteer application as well as pass a background check before an invitation to Volunteer Orientation is extended.
- All volunteers are required to attend the agency orientation.
- All volunteers are required to support the values and mission of Spay and Neuter Kansas City and Families Better Together™.
- Volunteers are required to abide by the policies and guidelines stated within the Volunteer Handbook, Training Manual, and Code of Conduct as well as, instructions from SNKC staff, and the laws, rules, and regulations of the agency.
- All volunteers are required to attend 2-4 training sessions, dependent upon areas of interest, and are required to complete the necessary training prior to participation in volunteer activities.
- All volunteers must have access to a computer and a valid email address.
- All volunteers must be 18 years of age or older. **We have limited availability for children age 16 and 17 in our program with parental consent, and both the parent and volunteer must complete an agency orientation. Volunteers age 16 and younger must be accompanied by a parental or legal guardian supervisor at all times, and both the parent and/or legal guardian and volunteer must complete an agency orientation. Available volunteer positions for youth under the age of 16 are extremely limited. Participation of minor volunteers must be preauthorized by the volunteer coordinator and/or the community outreach manager.
- All volunteers must commit to a minimum of 3 months of volunteerism with a minimum of 6 hours performed monthly.
- Criteria differs for episodic and group volunteer opportunities
- We currently do not accept volunteers required to perform court ordered community service for violent offenses.
- Discounted flea and heartworm preventative*
- Discounted vaccination services for personal animals*
- Discounted spay/neuter services for personal animals*
- One complimentary Spay and Neuter Kansas City Volunteer Shirt*
- Invites to and recognition at special Spay and Neuter Kansas City Events
- Continuing Education classes and opportunities
- The opportunity to help thousands of animals and their families within our community!
- * These benefits are only available after completion of set number of volunteer hours.
- Volunteers must be able to display superior customer service skills by being friendly, respectful and courteous to other volunteers, clients, members of our community, and Spay and Neuter Kansas City employees
- Volunteers must handle all animals with compassion and care. Volunteers under the age of 18 are not authorized to and will not be allowed to touch or handle any animals.
- Volunteers must be punctual, accountable, and reliable for all volunteer assignments and volunteer shifts.
- Volunteers must be aware, respectful, and mindful of their surroundings and their surrounding environment.
- Volunteers must only volunteer for those duties that they are capable of fulfilling correctly and completely.
- Volunteers must complete required training prior to volunteering independently in an area and accept direction, correction or feedback in a positive and constructive manner.
- Volunteers must be able to understand the mission and message of Spay and Neuter Kansas City and Families Better Together™
- Volunteers must be able to accurately and positively represent SNKC and FBT policies and positions to the public
- Volunteers must be able to communicate effectively with a variety of people without judgment or negativity
- Volunteers must be able to work effectively independently as well as on a team
- Volunteers must follow the required acceptance processes for certain volunteer roles.
VOLUNTEER TRAINING PROVIDED
- A general Volunteer Program Orientation session with our staff is required for ALL potential new volunteers.
- Preventative pet health – volunteers will be educated about common preventable canine and feline diseases and basic vaccination and preventative requirements, and will be expected to retain basic concepts on this topic before progressing to specific training in areas of interest. This basic and useful knowledge is key for functioning as a competent volunteer in our organization.
- Volunteers will be trained in our SNKC Wellness Care Clinic to better understand the services offered at Spay and Neuter Kansas City as well as to develop a better understanding of feline and canine vaccination schedules.
- Volunteers will be trained in Resource Maintenance to create a greater understanding for clinic needs and to train volunteers for clinic preparation.
- Additional specific training will be given in areas of interest, e.g. administration, dog/cat recovery, canvassing, TNR, transport, surgical operative support, community outreach. This may take the form of one-on-one “on the job” training.
- Computer system training – more than one session may be required.
- On-site and/or off-site training will be provided for off-site volunteer opportunities.